The Chief Real Estate Officer of Coalition Homes reports to the President of the Coalition Homes Board of Directors who also serves as the Chief Executive Officer of Montgomery County Coalition for the Homeless. The Chief Real Estate Officer is responsible for the overall health and growth of Coalition Homes as a 501c3 affiliate of the Montgomery County Coalition for the Homeless. The Chief Real Estate Officer is an experienced real estate professional with a graduate degree and minimum ten-years’ experience in multifamily real estate with a focus on affordable housing development and property management. The focus of this position is to expand and manage the supply of permanent supportive housing and provide trauma-informed property management services for formerly homeless households.
The Chief Real Estate Officer will oversee a staff of seven and be responsible for an annual budget in excess of $2.1M and an asset management portfolio of approximately $18M. Coalition Homes currently owns and manages a portfolio of approximately 140 units which include moderately priced dwelling units and HUD 811 properties.
Coalition Homes, Inc. (CH) is the nonprofit housing development affiliate of the Montgomery County Coalition for the Homeless, Inc. (MCCH). CH acquires, develops and manages permanent supportive housing to meet the needs of the most vulnerable populations with disabilities. In this capacity, Coalition Homes plays a crucial role to end homelessness consistent with MCCH’s mission of making homelessness rare, brief and non-recurring in Montgomery County, Maryland. The mission of Coalition Homes is to help eradicate homelessness in Montgomery County by creating, owning and operating permanent housing solutions.
Additionally, the Chief Real Estate Officer of Coalition Homes provides strategic leadership to the overall organization as a member of MCCH’s Executive Team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The candidate must have 10-years’ direct experience of real estate development and residential property management; and must possess strong financial management, auditing, and compliance experience. The Director ensures that Coalition Homes, Inc. operates within the mission and vision of MCCH.
Core responsibilities of the position include:
Asset and Financial Management
- Prepares CH annual budgets and monthly budget variance reports for MCCH review.
- Presents financial data and information and reports to the MCCH and Coalition Homes Board and Coalition Homes President. Assumes responsibility for asset management to include maintaining the CH loan portfolio and being a liaison to the MC Department of Housing and Community Affairs.
- Adheres to compliance and auditing reporting requirements and works with external auditors on audits and tax returns with assistance from MCCH Chief Financial Officer.
- Maintains oversight of CH financials to include operating capital, loans and subsidy funding.
- Direct and coordinate CH’s financial and budget activities to fund operations, maximize effectiveness, or increase efficiency.
- Analyzes operations to evaluate the performance of CH and its staff in meeting objectives in order to determine areas of potential cost reduction, program improvement, or policy change.
- Continuously monitors and controls resources to include overseeing the spending of money. Monitors cash flow and ensures financial health of all entities.
- Working applicable knowledge of economic and accounting principles and practices, banking and the analysis and reporting of financial data.
Affordable Housing Development
- Analyzes potential site acquisition and financing opportunities.
- Prepares responses to requests for proposals and solicitations for financing.
- Works with project development team including preparation of development and operating budgets.
- Identifies potential partnerships and opportunities to co-develop new projects.
- Identifies, acquires and develops properties to meet the strategic goals of MCCH and Coalition Homes, Inc.
- Negotiate or approve contracts or agreements with suppliers, distributors, federal or state agencies, or other organizational entities.
- Presents at meetings with partners and stakeholders.
- Oversees management of tenant certifications and re-certifications required for rental assistance.
- Assumes responsibility for annual HUD rent renewals and increases.
- Maintains policies and procedures for facilities management.
- Oversees routine property management services including unit inspections and preventative maintenance.
- In collaboration with the Chief Programs Officer of MCCH, works to ensure the coordination of Coalition Homes property managers and MCCH case managers to support tenant housing stability and compliance with rental recertification assistance and unit inspections standards.
- Bachelor’s degree required, MBA/MS, MURP or similar degree preferred
- A minimum of ten years’ experience in real estate, real estate development and property management required
- Experience with financial reporting, and with compliance and accounting principals
- Experience with Yardi or similar property management software preferred
- Experience in residential property management including HUD Section 8 and HUD 811s
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources
- Familiarity with all aspects of real estate development process
- Supervisory experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including public speaking
- Ability to solve problems and negotiate complex matters with an eye toward resolutions.
- Enjoys contributing as a team player and has a commitment to social justice and poverty solutions.
To apply for this position, please email your resume to email@example.com