Coalition Homes, Inc. (CH) is the nonprofit housing development affiliate of the Montgomery County Coalition for the Homeless, Inc. (MCCH). CH acquires, develops and manages permanent supportive housing to meet the needs of the most vulnerable populations with disabilities. CH also manages tenant rent collection and file compliance for MCCH. In both these capacities Coalition Homes plays a crucial role to end homelessness consistent with MCCH’s mission of making homelessness rare, brief and non-recurring in Montgomery County, Maryland. The mission of Coalition Homes is to help eradicate homelessness in Montgomery County by creating and operating permanent housing solutions.
The Portfolio Manager reports to the Chief Real Estate Officer for Coalition Homes. The Portfolio Manager is responsible for the day-to-day operations of this 129-unit affordable housing agency. The Portfolio Manager is an experienced real estate professional with a minimum five years’ experience in multifamily affordable housing with strong technical skills in property management, asset management, government compliance and facility maintenance. The focus of this role is to direct the maintenance of Coalition Homes’ housing portfolio and manage rent collection and file compliance for CH and several MCCH programs; always keeping in line with the broader agency’s commitment to trauma-informed services for formerly homeless households.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Portfolio Manager will oversee a staff of five in addition to several residential maintenance subcontractors and will direct their weekly activities. Coalition Homes currently owns and manages a portfolio which includes seven multifamily buildings (60 total units), three HUD 811 projects (25 total units) and forty-four scattered site moderately priced dwelling units (44 MPDU’s). The candidate must have proven experience overseeing the successful management of scattered site residential property and must possess strong leadership and analytical skills. Core responsibilities of the position include ensuring compliance with residential code, including HUD, DHCA and HOC inspections, diplomacy in handling complex resident issues, oversight of compliance schedules and audits for hundreds of annual tenant income certifications.
Core responsibilities of the position include:
Building Maintenance Management
- Analyze current maintenance work and prioritize, as needed to be in line with year-to-date budget.
- Work proactively to monitor inspection schedules and prepare for many and various annual inspections.
- Act as liaison for rental licenses, lead paint certificates, elevator certificates, boiler certificates, etc.
- Creates scope of work, request for proposals, review bids and negotiate with contractors to receive best quality and cost.
- Process and follow through with repair work and payments on property damage insurance claims.
- Oversee property management services including, correspondence, inspections and follow up repairs.
- Review and approval property expenses based on a purchasing guidelines and budget
Revenue and Expense Management
- Prepare annual operating budgets.
- Review monthly budget variances and provide explanation.
- Monitor rent collections, delinquencies and legal actions to minimize lost revenue.
- Supervise management of tenant certifications and re-certifications required for all affordable program units.
- Ensure timely monthly billing to HUD, HHS and other agencies for subsidies.
- Responsible for annual HUD and HOC requests for rent increases to maximize revenue.
- Ensure move ins, move-outs, unit turnovers are expedited to minimize vacancy loss.
- Review and approve property invoices for payment processing.
- Identify capital improvement projects and implement accordingly to balance operating budget cash flow.
- Rehabilitate small and medium size housing projects with guidance of upper management and DHCA.
- Identify and implement efficient methods of facilities operation with a goal of constant improvement.
- Upgrade existing office systems and software to empower direct reports in their various duties and roles.
- Maintain and develop policies and procedures as needed for staff and property management growth.
- Formal training in property management or bachelor’s degree required
- A minimum of five years’ experience in affordable housing property management
- Experience with Federal, State and Local agencies and affordable housing compliance principles
- Experience with Yardi software and the ability to advise and troubleshoot issues with team members
- Superior leadership skills with a proven track record of growing and empowering team members
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to follow up precisely
- Ability to solve problems and negotiate complex matters with mutually beneficial resolutions
- Team player with proven track record of commitment to social justice and poverty solutions
To apply for this position, please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org