Regardless of which winter holiday you celebrate, December is the busiest time of the year. Between juggling all the parties and presents, it can be easy to lose the true meaning of the holidays – the spirit of giving. There’s no better way to bond with your family than by doing something charitable for others.
Here are 5 ways you can give back as a family this holiday season.
1. Donate to a Holiday Gift Drive:
Picking out a special gift for someone in need is a great way to teach younger family members about the spirit of giving and how to budget during the holidays. After making your donation, head to a local café to enjoy mugs of hot chocolate and discuss how everyone felt while doing something generous.
TAKE ACTION: Donate gifts from our Holiday Gift Drive.
2. Assemble and Donate Welcome Home Kits: As people exit homelessness and move into new homes, they need household basics like hygiene, kitchen, and bathroom items. Once you shop for all the items on this list, put on some holiday music or a favorite movie while you organize your donations.
TAKE ACTION: Donate a Move-In Kit to our clients.
3. Cook and Serve a Meal: If your family is ready for something more personal, cooking and serving a meal to people experiencing homelessness is a great way to share the spirit of giving with people in need. Your family can learn a great deal by interacting with our clients and then use those experiences to educate others about the issue of homelessness in our community.
4. Wrap Holiday Gifts: A gift isn’t complete without a little wrapping! Take an afternoon off work to visit us and wrap gifts for the people we serve.
TAKE ACTION: Volunteer to wrap holiday gifts.
5. Hold a Community Bake Sale: The whole family enjoys gathering in the kitchen to bake holiday treats, but you can make this tradition even more meaningful by spreading holiday cheer to your community! Hold a holiday bake sale and donate the proceeds to MCCH.
TAKE ACTION: Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
Montgomery County Coalition for the Homeless (MCCH) is a non-profit with the mission to provide solutions in Montgomery County to ensure that homelessness is rare, brief, and nonrecurring. Learn more about MCCH.